Thursday 6 January 2011

WIP NMM Sang Guard

Well, this is a Blood Angels blog (perhaps in name only these days)…

Time for a little side project. I’ve been trying to maintain my little side projects whilst I steam through painting my IG up for a tournament in Feb…

The first is the little Dark Eldar idea I am beginning to throw around…built my first Hellion tonight…fantastic little kit, great dynamic poses available.

The second is a little Sanguinary Guard army. I am trying out a few NMM techniques. The first of which I have really taken to.


It is based on the work of Tim (? I think) from the Vanus Temple and this painting log on Warseer (the painting bit is the only thing I look at these days) / Burned Brush blog was found when I was searching for techniques.

It is essentially just spray priming the miniature in a light grey, then layering on 2/3 coats of Gryphonne Sepia to get a worn in gold look.

I find it very simple and looks great…

From here is where it gets more complicated, trying to layer in the ‘shine’ or reflective light elements.

I am thinking about trying a zenithal highlighting effect with gradually lighter grey – white primers before the GS washes, thus creating a subtlety different tone in the washes…

OR…

Just building the highlights through blended grey to white again prior to applying the washes…

What are your thoughts guys? Anyone used these techniques or have any advice?

1 comment:

  1. Thats quite a nice effect for something so simple.

    I'll get a couple of pictures up some time of my NMM that I did a while back. I generally work up from a black UC, then from a snakebite/catachan brown mix to bleach bone / white highlights. I've mixed in yellow in the past to get a quite decent golden hue.

    I might give this a pop as it seems quite a quick way to get to the extreme highlight stage (my favourite bit of painting) or could provide a quick and easy way to get rank and file troops onto the table with a v.good quality.

    ReplyDelete