Friday 14 February 2014

Beast Pack Classes – Late Registration

Hide you kids, hide your wives, cause the Beast Pack is hitting tourney scenes around the world big time – and you need to know how to deal with it!

Oliver here, once again on the school bench, this time learning lessons about the Big Boy on the tourney scene – the Deldar Beast Pack.


Since moving to England, I have become more and more familiar with the till now almost completely British phenomenon known has the “Beast Pack list”. England’s own Josh Roberts is winning tournaments left and right with this list, and in the recent LVO over in the US, 2 out of the top 8 finalists were running the BP. Ergo anyone on the tournament scene will need to know how to deal with it..

So first things first, let’s have a look at what I’m actually talking about. Just like any Death Star list, there are quite a few versions of the Beast Pack list. The Beast Pack itself though, usually looks the same:
Eldrad
Farseer, Jetbike, Shard of Anaris, Runes of Witnessing
Baron Sathonyx
5 Beastmasters, 25 Khymera

The idea here is that Eldrad and the Farseer primarily go for Fortune, and thereafter Invisibility, getting lots of other juicy powers in the process. In order to maximize durability and size, most players are now going for the 25 Khymera, rather than a few Razorwing flocks. The unit has a HUGE footprint (32 models, all on terminator bases), and with fortune (and maybe invisibilty) it can be a real PITA to kill.

The Death Star itself clocks in at 840 points. Let’s put this into perspective by comparing it to some of the other Death Stars on the scene:

·         QuadHerald Screamerstar: 790 points  + 300 point Fatey “tax” = 1090
·         O’vesa Star = 850 – 900 points
·         Farsight Bomb w. Loth = 1150 points
·         Jetseer Council = 850-900 points

As you can see, it is right in there pointswise with the other big Death Stars. However, compared to the other units described above, the Beast Pack’s gigantic size allows it to basically hit any part of the board it wants to, moving 12" a turn and charging with Fleet. But more on that later....


This leaves the BP list with about 1k points to spend on the rest of the army. There are a few options to go for here, but usually it looks something like this:
4 x 3 Jetbikes
2 units of Swooping Hawks / Warp Spiders
2 Wraithknights
5 DE Warriors

The things to note about this setup is: 1. The Wraithknights are another PITA which have to be dealt with at some point, as they are not nice to have in your backfield – most BP players will use them aggressively to draw fire from the BP.  2. The definition of CLUTCH, the Jetbikes. These guys ensure that even though you as an opponent manage to deal with the killy parts of the list, the BP player will have last turn scoring units that move 48”.

Let’s move on to my own experiences with the list, playing against it with the O’vesa Star. Since Cally, I’ve been running the following list:

Primary: Farsight Enclaves
Farsight
O’vesa
Commander, M3S, C&C node, PENchip, VRT
Riptide, Ion, SMS, EWO, TL
Riptide, Ion, SMS, EWO, TL
Riptide, HBC, SMS, EWO, TL, Talisman of 4D6 deny, 2 Shielded Missile Drones
3 Crisis, 3 Flamers
Solo Crisis 4 times
10 Kroot
Sky Ray, BSF
Sky Ray, BSF
Sky Ray, BSF
Vs. Josh Robert's Beast Pack

So in the the games I’ve had against the Beast Pack, I’ve managed to deduce that the list has issues vs. it. Throughout Cally, I found that my army generally had problems against lists with “killable” CC units running at me (i.e. Wraiths, Spawn, Plague Drones) as I lack some statistical, high volume shooting. This problem is reflected in the BP matchup as I have very little options in case I want to go for the Beasts.

Now against a “normal” Death Star the strategy would be simple – ignore it and kill everything, making sure

that the Death Star can only kill one unit a turn… And this is what I have tried to do, both in my games vs. Josh Roberts and VenBro on the blog. Focus on the Wraithknights from the start, and then the Troops when they enter. But this hasn’t worked out very well, as I’ve had to give up both games come T4. Now the sample size of games is not very big, but I think I am able to draw some overarching conclusions:

vs. VenBros Beast Pack 
The strategy mentioned above, which usually is the go-to option, doesn’t work due to the size of the BP. In the game vs. Ven, he basically managed to spread out so far that it enabled him to charge units that were 24” or even more apart. Even though I managed to use the O’vesaStar quite effectively to block him off, it still wasn’t enough to prevent him from charging a Sky Ray a turn along with the star. And once the star did crumble under the weight of attacks + various psychic powers, the rest of my army was very exposed…

So it’s time to hit the drawing board again. In order to get the volume of firepower I need, I’m adding in a maxed-out pack of Broadsides. This should help me to deal with not only the BP, but pretty much any unit in the game that will go down to weight of fire. Now, if I want to keep the 3 Sky Rays in the list, I would need to drop 2 Riptides. I am very reluctant to do this, as the option of putting a BurstTide OR IonTide in the O’vesaStar is too good to let go off in my opinion.

Dropping one of the Iontides and a Sky Ray while adding in the Broads gives me about 50 points to spare. Having removed the Sky Ray, I am lacking some Marker Lights – so I’ll upgrade the 3man Crisis squad to: 3 Crisis, Drone Controller, 6 Marker Drones. The Buffcommander will also get a Drone Controller, giving me the option to join him to the unit to buff the Drones.

Now in order to do this, I’ve had to remove one Solo Suit. However, my next tourney, Death or Glory, is running a straight Win/Loss/Draw format with book missions. This means that troops will not be as necessary as in Cally, where there were 5 objectives in every game. The 0-20 system also meant that you hqd to capture a lot of objectives if you wanted big wins - which isn't the case at DoG.Furthermore, I have had to remove the EWO on the BurstTide, a necessary evil...

So the new list is:

PRIMARY DETACHMENT: Farsight Enclaves – a Codex: Tau Empire Supplement
HQ1 (Warlord): Commander Farsight (165) = [165]
HQ 1.1: Farsight Command Team: O’vesa (305) = [305]
Elite1 : XV104 Riptide (180), Ion Accelerator (5), Twin-linked Smart Missile System (0), Early Warning Override (5), Target Lock (5) = [195]
Elite 3 : XV104 Riptide (180), Twin-linked Smart Missile System (0), Target Lock (5), Talisman of Arthas Moloch (25), 2 Shielded Missile Drones = [265]
Troop 1 : XV8 Crisis Team : 3 Crisis Shas’ui (66) , Drone Controller (8), Bonding Knives (3x1), 6 Marker Drones = [149]
Troop 3 : XV8 Crisis Team : 1 Crisis Shas’ui (22), Bonding Knife (1) = [23]
Troop 3 : XV8 Crisis Team : 1 Crisis Shas’ui (22), Bonding Knife (1) = [23]
Troop 4 : XV8 Crisis Team : 1 Crisis Shas’ui (22), Bonding Knife (1) = [23]
HS1: Sky Ray (115), Twin-linked Smart Missile system (0), Blacksun filter (1) = [116]
HS2: Sky Ray (115), Twin-linked Smart Missile system (0), Blacksun filter (1) = [116]]
ALLIED DETACHMENT: Codex: Tau Empire
HQ1 : Commander (85), Command and Control Node (15), Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite (20), Puretide Engram Neurochip (15), Vectored Retro-Thrusters (5), Drone Controller = [148]
Troop 1 : 10 Kroot (60) = [60]
HS1: Broadside Team: 3 Broadsides (195), 6 Missile Drones (72) = [267]
ARMY TOTAL [1850]

So to close off, I’ve ran some numbers on what the list can do vs. the Beast Pack. Now my strategy is to join Batman to the Marker Drones, allowing me to hit the BP one 2’s with the O’vesaStar and the Broadside Pack. I am assuming that the BP player is using his 4++ with fortune agains my shooting, i.e. that he either hasn’t gotten invisibilty, or that I with the Markers on the Sky Rays am able to ignore cover as well.

Broadsides + Missile Drones = 7.7 dead Khymera
O’vesa Star with BurstTide joined:
With Nova on BurstTide = 7 dead Khymera
Without Nova on BurstTide = 6 dead Khymera
  • Total O’vesa + Broads = 14-15 dead Khymera

If I decide to fire off Skyrays as well (assuming hitting on 2’s against 4++ with fortune)
2 Sky Rays = 5 dead Khymera
  • Total O’vesa + Broads + Skyrays = 18 dead Khymera.

Now THAT will seriously cripple the Beast Pack. With some bubble-wrapping with the O’vesaStar (which is joined by Batman T2 onwards to provide Stubborn) I should be able to prevent the BP from charging the Broadsides, allowing me to finish them off after HitnRunning out. This does mean that the WKs will be in amongst me come mid-game  - but they can only kill one unit a turn, and the O’vesa Star will hopefully make it into late game to finish at least one of them off…. 

Seems promising on paper, now it's all about making it happen on the table ;)


Alright, that’s me for this time! Hope you enjoyed the article, and do please comment on your experiences with or against the Beast Pack!

5 comments:

  1. I think you are not considering things too carefully. To get those kind of kills you need to get through the barons re rollable 2+ save. If the baron decides not to tank then he can still wade through that measly firepower in 2 turns. What you miss is the chance of him killing your markerlights early, utilising BLOS and the potential of good rolling.

    To put it in your favour...you require a buble wrap. When I first faced this list it was Dan Sackets. He had a maxed pack..dual farseers and baron. I had 2 maxed broadsides and a unit of crisis suits 13 reliable markerlights. I reduced the pack to 5 models by the end of the game..and would have won had I not failed a LD 9 test costing me 4 VPs.

    The buble wrap allowed me 3 extra ahooting phases. One when he hit the buble wrap, two during the next turn and the third in the next overwatch. He could not kill the wrap because i had 2 large krrot units..and he couldnt kill enough to get through because I eliminated his anti infantry firepower. Now this was a KP mission but the same princippe applies. Play for the draw or if you have psyker support like a farseer or tiggy...then maybe missfortune could help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are not considering things too carefully. To get those kind of kills you need to get through the barons re rollable 2+ save. If the baron decides not to tank then he can still wade through that measly firepower in 2 turns. What you miss is the chance of him killing your markerlights early, utilising BLOS and the potential of good rolling.

    To put it in your favour...you require a buble wrap. When I first faced this list it was Dan Sackets. He had a maxed pack..dual farseers and baron. I had 2 maxed broadsides and a unit of crisis suits 13 reliable markerlights. I reduced the pack to 5 models by the end of the game..and would have won had I not failed a LD 9 test costing me 4 VPs.

    The buble wrap allowed me 3 extra ahooting phases. One when he hit the buble wrap, two during the next turn and the third in the next overwatch. He could not kill the wrap because i had 2 large krrot units..and he couldnt kill enough to get through because I eliminated his anti infantry firepower. Now this was a KP mission but the same princippe applies. Play for the draw or if you have psyker support like a farseer or tiggy...then maybe missfortune could help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will the baron be up front tanking though? I mean if he loses the baron against my list, I can quite easily tie up the Pack with the O'vesastar. But you make a very good point - it is a possibility I have to consider, and if he decides to do it and makes it through the shooting I am in a very bad position.

      I agree that a gunline Tau/Tau/Eldar/SM list would have less severe issues with the list. Josh talked about this as well. But after having played it for some time I feel that the O'vesa list is better overall considering the current meta. With O'vesa you have a lot of tactical flexibility, which I sometimes find that the Tau gunline lists lack. But maybe with screamers on the decline again it could see a return?

      At cally I ran two squads of kroot - alright they're good as bubble wrap, but in other matchups they're 60 points of "kill me", compared to the Crisis Suits which actually can be hid behind LoS/O'vesa. And the 40 points I save from downgrading Kroot to Solo Suits are very important in a "tight" list like this. What would you drop to fit more kroot in? The 3rd Riptide - but then I'm either loosing firepower with the BurstTide or the ability for 2 x pieplate with the IonTide....

      What Tau list do you consider has the best chance in the meta atm Alex?

      Delete
  3. Getting misfortune through is not likely (25%) with a fortuned Eldrad.

    I think that the strategy has some merit although it will go a bit slower - the broadsides, skyrays and bursttide (if nova charged) will pump out 36 str 6/7 and 16 str 8 shoots --> 31 str 6/7 hits and 11 str 8 hits --> 35 wounds - let the baron tank that - one fail and hit and run is lost and then Ovesa and co can handle it.

    /Qarp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baron won't tank vs Tau O'Vesa builds as the O'Vesa can tie it up and that's a PITA/game lost. Like the other guys say, loss of Hit and Run is significant and 4++ twice per model is strong enough when the Pack is large enough.

    Alex's point is valid though, bubblewrap helps here significantly. You have one kroot screen that will just get shot away through the Packs meagre shooting combined with either the Hawks or Spiders... Then you can screen with O'Vesa behind that.

    My success against the beast pack has come from remaining mobile, screened to ensure maximum shooting phases and no fortune lol.. But honestly, maxed out broads will go a long way to increasing chances of depleting their Pack over the two or three phases you can give yourself with positioning and wrap.

    Let's get more games in against it and get cracking on some more strategy...familiarity breeds success

    ReplyDelete