Tuesday 15 November 2011

Back Online

What's up Sons fans!

This is my introduction and first post for the Sons. Some of you may recognise me from the Space Wolves Blog, some of you may not, some of you might not give a shit. Anyway Venerable Brother saw the talent going free and begged and pleaded me to join the Sons, Ok that bits not true but I'm here anyway and this time I have been unleashed!

What have I got planned then? Well I started my Space Wolf army all over from scratch a few months ago which is just abut finished so I will share some pictures of my new units here and there. This leads me on nicely to what I'm going to write about.

Last weekend I took my Wolves down to Onslaught 2011 in Bristol hosted by Cut and Thrust games. Firstly I want to say thanks to the Tournament Organisers for running a smooth and enjoyable event. The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly despite there being some very competitive names in attendance. The venue itself was awesome and left me very envious of any war gamers in the Bristol area having such a nice LGS to hang out in.

The tables had plenty of terrain on and some of the themed tales were brilliant but this leads me onto my one and only gripe. One or two of the tables had far too much terrain on, now I don't mind playing with lots of terrain but one of tables was darn right unplayable. The table was like a city block with around 70% of the table covered by multi storey buildings. Whilst this is a cool in theory it was a nightmare to play on and really slowed the game down, me and my opponent were hard pushed to finish our game in 2 1/2 hours .

I took my Space Wolves as usual because I just can't bring myself to play any other army at the minute. A couple of my gaming buddies often say if they cut me in half I'd have Space Wolves written down the middle. Damn right says I!


















My list has changed some what since my last tournament back in July, I got a bit fed up of pushing around Rhinos and Long Fang packs so I decided I needed a change and wanted some variety in my list. On the same note I didn't want to gimp my list and make it a pile of shit at tournaments so I had to keep the good elements from the codex whilst toning down the spam. Heres the list:-

HQ 1 -Logan Grimnar
HQ 2 -Rune Priest,Chooser of the Slain, Murderous Hurricane, Living Lightning

ELITES 1 -Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield
ELITES 2 -Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield

TROOPS 1
Wolf Guard Pack
WG1 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG2 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG3 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG4 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG5 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG6 - Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
WG7 - Power Armour, Combi Melta, Powerfist
WG8 - Power Armour, Combi Melta, Powerfist
WG9 - Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Bolter, Cyclone Missile Launcher
WG10- Terminator Armour, Powerfist, Storm Bolter, Cyclone Missile Launcher
Drop Pod

TROOPS 2
Wolf Guard Pack
WG1 - Power Armour, Combi Plasma, Close Combat Weapon
WG2 - Power Armour, Combi Plasma, Close Combat Weapon
WG3 - Power Armour, Combi Plasma, Close Combat Weapon
WG4 - Power Armour, Combi Plasma, Close Combat Weapon
WG5 - Terminator Armour, Combi Plasma, Power Weapon, Cyclone Missile Launcher

TROOPS 3, 7 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard,Mark of Wulfen
Rhino, Dozer Blade
TROOPS 4, 7 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Mark of Wulfen
Rhino

HEAVY 1 - 6 Long Fangs, Pack Leader, 5 Missile Launchers
HEAVY 2 - 6 Long Fangs, Pack Leader, 3 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons


So basically its a Logan Wing but its not, does that make sense? God knows. I like to call it a Hybrid Logan list as it taken all the good bits from both style of lists and has produced an awesome love child.

The Key to this list is flexibility and its got flexibility coming out of its ears. I really struggled with the list at first but that was down to me using Logan like I would use Mephiston and much to my dismay he just can’t do it. Then I started using Logan as he is meant to be used and suddenly I find the list works wonders. I can castle up with this bad boy or go on the offensive and its all down to the Wolf Guard. I can drop that unit anywhere on the board with or without Logan if need be, flanks shots with 4 Strength 8 tank hunting Krak missiles anyone? And then enough close combat punch to look after itself the following turn, yes please sir can I have more sir!

Maybe the terrain is very dense and my static Long Fangs are at a disadvantage? Not anymore fool! 11 out of 16 of my Long range AT shots can move and fire if I stick Logan with the Lascannon toting Long Fang pack. It may not seem like much but when you read my upcoming battle reports you’ll see how much of a difference this can make.

My favourite units in this list are the Lone Wolves, these boys just piss people off and I love it. They are a bit tricky to use but if you do it right they can disrupt your opponents game plan by just being on table. You watch that Death star Land Raider avoid those Lone Wolves like a bad fart, send them midfield and they bolster you midfield assault force with some hard hitting mofo's giving the Grey Hunters some much needed CC support.

I'm going to talk more about this list after I report back on the games I had at Onslaught, there are holes in it and based on the experiences from the weekend I plan to make some minor tweaks, I also need to bump this list up to 1850 for the upcoming Caledonian Uprising tournament in January.

5 comments:

  1. Like the conversions of what we can see.

    Post the rest of the army up!

    Looking forward to the reports, but I really do like that your taking the "traditional" archetype and putting a spin on it for yourself, and seems like making it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome on board once again mate.
    Look forward to the Onslaught Report...
    Hopefully Alex will fill us in as well..

    Second Bully's point...get the whole army up in a showcase!!

    (Raises tea mug in salute) Here's to many glorious posts..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you as one of the sons Brad. Glad you haven't just got lost into the either. I think it's always nice to have people poached from my comments section - thanks ven!! :P

    Anyway, on a side note, if you're still coming to Blog Wars 2 bear in mind ticket sales close on Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @FtF - I'll e-mail you mate about Blog wars.

    @ Ven and Bully, once I get these units fully painted I'll do some showcasing, the armies taking me a while to do becuase of all the fucking around with conversions lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to leave tread marks on yer lone wolves!!

    starting to very pretty dude

    ReplyDelete