Saturday 14 May 2011

Army of the Fell Handed for Blog Wars?


Space Wolves.
The book offers so many good builds..
I think I may have even found one for Bjorn the Fell Handed...
An awesome character that is unfortunately very,very expensive..

But after playing with some GK Ven Dread builds, thanks Hulksmash for those btw - picked some tips up from reading his stuff over at his homeplace... I really think he can be useful..

What does he bring to the table and who should we bring alongside our Venerable Brother (see what I did there! lol)?



A nigh-unmissable lascannon or plasma cannon...cause you are probably not ever going to use that assault cannon imho.

A chance to reroll who goes first (or should I say who picks deployment first...so same thing) ...this used to be more reliable than it is now with the addition of a Tarot DH dude... not so now, but still damn good..

Av13. Venerable. Ward of the Primarch = 5++ and a wolf tail talisman for 5+ versus psychic powers.

So he is pretty tough. Especially with cover.

And cover is where he would be. Easy to give a dread cover, stick a rhino in front. Remember that if he dies, he either becomes an objective - in which case that rhino should be full of troops to claim an easy objective, or he forfeits KP's if you are not with him.. Either way, he needs some support.

But in return he offers great support too. He has 4A base, with WS6 and his front armour makes him damn tough in combat. Lovely little counter assault should the boys get into trouble.

So we could go down 2 routes with Bjorn for Blog Wars (remember, the slightly comp Tourney for UK Bloggers coming up in 3 weeks!! - have to have a special character....check it out to the left if you are in the UK and haven't signed up yet)

1st route - shooting
2nd route - um ... shooting..

So 1st up at 1750:

Bjorn - TLLascannon
Rifleman Dread
Rifleman Dread
Rifleman Dread
Grey Hunters x 5, Flamer, Plasmaback
Grey Hunters x 5, Flamer, Plasmaback
Grey Hunters x 5, Flamer, Plasmaback
Grey Hunters x 5, Flamer, Plasmaback
MM/HF Speeder
MM/HF Speeder
Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML
Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML
Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML

A lot of shooting, this army focuses on the alpha strike, leaving so little to return fire that it is ok to have so few troops! And this is a big thing for me, as I like to have a lot of troops at my disposable...

2nd option which, to me, is slightly more preferable:

Bjorn - Plasma Cannon
Rifleman Dread
Rifleman Dread
Wolf Guard x 5, 5 CMelta
Grey Hunters x 7, Melta, Banner, Rhino
Grey Hunters x 7, Melta, Banner, Rhino
Grey Hunters x 7, Melta, Banner, Rhino
Grey Hunters x 7, Melta, Banner, Rhino
Grey Hunters x 6, Melta, Banner, Rhino
Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML

Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML 
Long Fangs x 5, 4 ML 

This has less in the way of shooting at range, but has far more punch and survivability reserved for later in the game when it comes to the crunch... 

I'm going to test both of these out later today and I'll feedback tomorrow... 

In advance of that....COMMENT! What do you think boys? Any good? Trash...go back to Njal Killswitch ;) ? 



7 comments:

  1. those lists are scary. i dont want to play you, i will die :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, not sure how id handle the straken blobs, have to just gang up I guess with the first one, second the bolters might do it for one blob, but guessing they'd be in cover, so assault better...

    Funnily enough, I have the same feeling towards playing you brother! Draw as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool lists, not sure which I prefer.

    First list is damn shooty - its a shame a WG unit with a CML comes in at 155 (with combi's) otherwise that would be great. Weakness is the razors/bodies - but I think it should be ok to protect them.

    2nd list - its just your njal list with bjorn!!!! Quite cool again - this I'd like to see at least some PW's in there some where though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2nd list not at all njal list...no scouts! They've just changed to dreads...so I guess its pretty similar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came up with a 2000pt Space Wolves army that revolved around Bjorn, dreadnoughts and Razorbacks. Looks and sounds familiar to your first except with the distinct difference that I used TL Lacannon Razorback. The extra 250pts simply bought me more troops in Razorbacks. Its a scary list and one that would be fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the 2nd list is better now I look @ it Ven. I think it is all round more reliable - and that is just through the troop modifications.

    The first list is scary, especially going first, but I think it stand the risk of bad dice on the first couple of turns, or going 2nd etc .... if that gets shut down - the man power can be made to go away quite quickly. The second list has the issue of having so many reliable and tough bodies in the midfield/objective area's that its hard to shut down the still considerable fire support.

    Got my first seize today on a side note. I did Bjorn proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey HOTpanda... Scary is the word...but fragile troops...check out the updated post today!

    ReplyDelete