This will be a short one going through the list I'm facing round 1 at Caledonian Uprising, and a preview of the list I'll be running.
As you know, I'll be taking the O'vesa star with Riptide support. Not 100% satisfied by the list, but oh well... that's life... Would have liked to tweak around a bit on the loadout of my suits. Anyways, here it is:
PRIMARY DETACHMENT: Farsight Enclaves – a Codex: Tau Empire Supplement
Riptide, HBC, SMS, EWO, Target Lock, Talisman, 2 Shielded Missile Drones
Riptide, Ion, PosRelay, EWO
Riptide, Ion, EWO
3 Crisis Suits, TL MPs
Solo Suit, 2xflamer
ALLIED DETACHMENT: Codex: Tau Empire
Commander Batman w. HitnRun and Onager Gauntlet
List is simple, just the way I like it ;) Not many units to give you a headache.... A lot of surviveability but lacking a bit on volume of fire and marker light support. Ripple fire SMS is great in the objective based mission Cally are running - killing troops will win you the game 9 times out of 10. I went for 2 units of kroot because they're great for blocking etc.
Alright, on to the first round matchup!
99 )- Scott Milne
Primary: Chaos Space Marines = 1049pts
HQ1: Sorcerer (60) Force Axe (0) Bike (20) Gift of Mutation (10) Sigil of Corruption (25) Spell Familiar (15) Melta Telepathy dudes that chill with the spawn
Bomb (5) +2 Mastery Level (50) = [185pts]
HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Force Axe (0) Bike (20) Gift of Mutation (10) Sigil of Corruption (25) Spell Familiar (15) +2
Mastery Level (50) = [180pts]
Troop 1: 10 Cultists (50) Champion (0) +1 Additional Cultist (4) = [54pts]
Troop 2: 10 Cultists (50) Champion (0) = [50pts]
Troop 3: 10 Cultists (50) Champion (0) = [50pts]
Fast Attack 1: 5 Spawn (150) MoN (30) = [180pts]
Fast Attack 2: 5 Spawn (150) MoN (30) = [180pts]
Fast Attack 3: Heldrake (170) Baleflamer (0) = [170pts] Needs to die...
Allies: Chaos Deamons = 801pts
HQ1: Herald of Nurgle (45) Exalted Reward (30) Locus of Fecundity (25) = [100pts] Footsloggin herald= no Jetpack move for Drones if he's joined. Gives them 5+FnP and Grimoire.
Troop 1: 10 Horrors (90) +1 Additional Horror(9) Iridescent Horror(5) =[104pts]
Troop 2: 10 Horrors (90) +1 Additional Horror(9) Iridescent Horror(5) =[104pts]
Fast Attack 1: 9 Plague Drones (294) Death Heads (45) Rot Proboscis (35) Plaguebringer (5) Greater Reward (20) = Poison 3+ and a cheeky Instant Death Plaguebringer, death heads are two poison 4+ shots per dude.
Ok... 63 T5/T6 wounds... That's gonna be a real PITA....
A few key pointers I want to point out:
- Plague drone deathstar will most likely be rocking 3++ with 5+FnP, Poison 3+ in combat. Plan with these is to just ignore them (unless Grimoire failes), maybe tie up with O'vesastar if they get close...
- Target priority T1 will be one of the Spawnstars - easy target and potentially a warlord kill. Hallucination/Psychic shriek can be a real PITA if let loose..
- Heldrake needs to die when it come in, will probably not shoot missiles on Skyrays T1 for this reason.
- Once troops get in they'll eat SMS, and then I will just try to mitigate damage from whatever is left of the 2nd Spawnstar/the drones
- If Scouring is primary (mission is randomly determined) I'll go and die in a ditch... covered in petrol... on fire... let's hope that doesn't happen.... Jokes aside, his 4 damage dealers will be priority throughout the game in that case. + I'll get extra points for killing them, so that's nice.
- If deployment is Vanguard strike, I might just consider a Kroot-wrapped castle in the corner... He's got so little shooting that it might just pay off.
- In Hammer and Anvil I'll deploy halfway up the DZ and slowly back away while killing the Spawstars.
That's me for now, one lecture left and then it's Cally-time!! Wish me luck!